2011. BEST FOR GUESTS. 21 james brimacombe (fake plastic tunes)






James is a canadian music lover living in Utah, USA. He's the owner and chief editor of Fake Plastic Tunes, a blog/site featuring what's new in independent music and what's happening with more known acts like Radiohead (I don't really have to tell you that he's a huge fan of the band, right?).
The blog has 8 more contributors that, together, share their new discoveries, review albums and live shows.
Source of good reading, balanced reviews and great discoveries. One of my Pitchforks.

                      site     facebook     twitter     youtube


"Here are my top 5 albums of the year.  I excluded Radiohead TKOL because I am somewhat biased.  I just picked the 5 albums that I continue to fall back on over and over during the year.  Sure I could have added Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, The Horrors, Explosions In the Sky and M83 as well but that would be a top 10 list.  Thanks for asking me to help out.

 ALBUMS








1. THE VACCINES WHAT DID YOU EXPECT FROM THE VACCINES?
This album kept me entertained all year and was one album and band over the past few years that really put a dent into my listening.  Sure I would put it up there with having a simalar effect to what The Strokes Is This It brought to the table.  I know it might be over played or over hyped but it is an album that I enjoy from start to finish and feel no shame.
2. WU LYF GO TELL FIRE TO THE MOUNTAIN
It is impossible to put this album to words, it is just a brand new music experience and it is so refreshing to have something original and different to listen too.  
3. YOUTH LAGOON THE YEAR OF HIBERNATION
At times this album takes you on a roller coaster ride of a music adventure. Bon Iver now has some serious competition in the how to make a beautiful record category. You will not find one weak song on this album, the whole thing is just one big incredible experience. Everything works on this album, and that is exactly what it is an album. From start to finish this is as polished a lo-fi indie album that can be achieved. I find no flaws in the Year of Hibernation, this is album perfection, so thank you Trevor Powers for creating this beautiful record.
4. ELBOW BUILD A ROCKET BOYS! 
Such a solid and fascinating album.  The song Lippy Kids is a thing of beauty.  
 5. FRENCH FILMS IMAGINARY FUTURE
This is one of those bands I just feel connected too and feel that each song deserves to be heard by everyone in the music community.  After wearing out the EP with listen after listen the full length album is just a bigger collection of catchy tunes.  I am unsure where to classify the style of music, you could say indie pop, alternative I guess but I would say French Films have almost created their own genre in Finland Rock or something like that. 

No comments: