2011. BEST FOR GUESTS. 16 moustache of insanity





photo by Tom Ashton
Moustache of Insanity is one of those bands (duos actually, formed by Nik and Bill - also from Allo Darlin') with an impecable ear for catchy melodies and lyrical subjects that can go from sugary-cute and romantic to insanely funny-stupid (and I mean stupid in the best sense possible because it's a 'stupidity' that forms amazing verses).
A lo-fi and DIY sense wraps it all with guitars and electronics.
You can find all their albums on bandcamp with the 'name your price' option!
"I want a moustache, dammit! I wanna look like Burt Reynolds!"

                site     facebook     twitter     bandcamp


"Lists, lists, lists...December is list-making time. Favorite this, favorite that. I kind of both love and hate making lists. You always have to leave some good things out...and in the end rating music is a bit rubbish isn't it? It should be enough that a good song is a good song, without having to go into detail of whether one amazing song is better than another amazing song. And there are so many unwritten rules. How many of your friends' bands are you allowed to plug? How many well-known bands should you put in there? How obscure are you allowed to get before people start thinking you're a dick? So, I don't know...this is a bit of a random list, in no specific order. Some smaller bands, mixed with some better known acts. The main thing they have in common is that, for one reason or another, they've all made an impact on me this year and I can't wait to see what they do next.

If I had to make a list of my actual albums/artists/songs of  2011 (regardless of release date) it would probably look completely different. I'm sure some of the below bands/entries would make their way onto that one as well, but they would be fighting over the spotlight with bands like Andrew Jackson Jihad, Defiance Ohio, Atom & His Package, Fugazi, Pointed Sticks, Nana Grizol, Half Japanese, Eagleowl, Masshysteri, Allo Darlin, Shrag, Bob Hund and Dorotea on that list. Ha, see! I managed to find a way to sneak in those guys as well. All amazing bands...some still going, some long gone. Anyway, here goes...my list of stuff that was actually released in 2011.


ALBUMS









JAPANTHER BEETS, LIME AND RICE (link)
This was only released a month or so ago, so I haven't had the chance to get completely obsessed with it yet….but that will happen I'm sure…always does when it's about Japanther.
HUMOUSEXUAL GRENZENLOS (link)
AWESOME! AWESOME! HUMOUSEXUAL ARE AWESOME! I'm not sure if this really counts as an album, but it's seven songs of awesomeness….and seven awesome songs is more than most albums have on them.
TIMES NEW VIKING DANCE EQUIRED (link)
Their most "polished" album to date and it is just AMAZING.
THE DEATH SET MICHAEL POICCARD (link)
This rocks!
LET'S WRESTLE NURSING HOME (link)
It took me a while to get into this one, but it really is a great record. Wes is an incredible song-writer.

ARTISTS






MATH THE BAND (link)
Math The Band are one of the best live bands ever! They're super sweet guys and their music makes me go silly with excitement. New material coming in 2012 and it's going to be AMAZING!!!!!!
ANAMANAGUCHI (link)
I want to see these guys live soooo bad. I don't really listen to that much instrumental music. Anamanguchi don't need words. Every single track they've ever released is still incredible. Perfect music to brighten up a shitty day.
ANGUISH SANDWICH (link)
Amazing name, amazing band. That's all.
TIGERCATS (link)
Tigercats are GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT! My favourite London band.
JAPANTHER (link)
Probably the best band in the world, live and on record.

SONGS
ANGUISH SANDWICH LEAVE MY BRAIN ALONE


TIGERCATS BANNED AT THE TROXY

TIMES NEW VIKING FUCK HER TEARS

BLACK LIPS MR. DRIVER

HUMOUSEXUAL NO BORDERS
(no link found)


No comments: