2011. BEST FOR GUESTS. 30 eternal summers





Eternal Summers started as a duo formed by Daniel and Nicole and later became a trio with Jonathan joining the band.
Their from Roanoke, Virginia.
Short songs going to the core of what this band wants to create: jangly, immediate and simple pop songs.
Most of the bands that could be compared with Eternal Summers tend to use reverbs and walls of sound. The beauty of the band's music lies exactly on the fact that they keep things simple and without many effects.
Beautiful, raw and dreamy.
Last year, their debut album Silver, was released via Kanine Records.

                 facebook     blog     twitter    


ALBUMS
I spent much of my year reading popular graphic novels and listening to singer song writers and balancing it unconsciously with heavier sounds.  I forget when the year started.  I find they just over lap and fade into one another like some cloudy spiral heading... well, I don't know where it's heading.
I don't listen to much modern music and find most of my pleasure in music to be in the past. I do keep a breast on the latest crazes and shitty hyped up bands and yea, there's some good stuff.  Anyway, here's a list of albums I was into this year that seemed to have a special place in my spiraling movement forward.







AGOLLOCH MARROW OF THE SPIRIT, 2010 (link)
Grim. Beautiful. Heavy. Dark. Nature. Bright. Powerful.  That sums up my year too.
ALCESTE ECAILLES DE LUNE, 2010 (link)
My older brother Matt turned me on to this as well as others on this list.  When you're scraping ice off your windows in the morning this will help you understand why.  It's a beautiful and heavy album. 
GRATEFUL DEAD EUROPE 72' COMPLETE RECORDINGS, 2011 (link)
Ok.  I don't own this and have not listened to 90% of it.  But look this shit up.  They released an entire Europe tour at what many call the best era of the Deads career.  Europe 72' is one of the best live albums which was released  back 1972.  Anyway, they released only 7,200 box sets of this and they sold out in 4 days and cost like 500 bucks.  If I was a rich dead head I would be happy.  Checkout Europe 72' since you don't have the cash. 
RYAN ADAMS JACKSONVILLE CITY NIGHTS, 2005 (link)
This album is wonderful to me and one of Ryan Adams best.  I listened to this as much as I could when I went out west this year with Eternal Summers.  It was a perfect album for me at this time.  I was dealing with some personal addictions of love and substance.  The tour helped me escape some things and see what I was doing to myself, personally.  I hadn't had an album affect me like this in a long time.  It's a beautiful, inspirational and sad album.  Music is fucked up.
OLIVIA TREMOR CONTROL BLACK FOLIAGE/DUSK AT A CUBIST CASTLE (reissue), 2011 (link)
These two albums where a constant throughout my 20's.  These two albums taught me what pop was and how you could bend that into something weird.  Their use of noise, pop, darkness and light was a breath of fresh air when I first heard it.  Bill Doss and Will Hart wrote awesome lyrics on these albums.   The kind that would make you want to do something positive and productive or make a cloud and sleep inside its rain center.  
BIG STAR 3RD, 1978 (link)
This album is killer. Just great song writing.  I had it on vinyl for a while and finally got to really listen to it and fell in love with all the songs.  It was re-released as Sister Lovers on 1985.  It's just a good record.  
THE CURE DISINTEGRATION, 1989 (link)
Never got into it until we were on tour with Reading Rainbow this year.  I listened to it repeatedly.  I know some of you may say I'm a little late on this one but i disagree.   I think Robert Smith wrote it when he was 30, so it makes perfect sense to me.  

No comments: