2011. BEST FOR GUESTS. 27 graham (the señors of marseille)





Graham Bishop is one of the members of the upbeat, lo-fi, Brooklyn based band The Señors of Marseille. They have a single released through Holiday Records and a fantastic (!!!!!) album called Tubular, picked as my 3rd favorite album of 2010.
Original melodies and a beautiful combination of instruments and vocals (sometimes resembling something like a choir of happy-sappy-vibrant kids). I wonder how awesome it must be a live performance from them...
The Señors of Marseille released a new song this year called 'Big' and you can find it on their bandcamp.
Graham is also the owner of the DIY label Señors Music "specializing in all tunes danceable and infectious".

site     facebook     twitter     bandcamp     blog     interview


ALBUMS
I listened to these albums constantly this year - start to finish, every song is great and works both in the context of the album and on its own.  For some reason, my album list is all male fronted, which kinda grosses me out, but it didn't occur to me until the list was done and I already went over my top five, anyway, so I'm sorry...





KURT VILE SMOKE RING FOR MY HALO (link)
Everyone loves this album.  That's because it's really great...
GENERATIONALS ACTOR-CASTER (link)
Catchy - every song is a perfect pop song.  Their first album, Con Law, was killer, too.
YOUTH LAGOON THE YEAR OF HIBERNATION (link)
This is the album that I listened to start to finish more than any other album.  It is rich and swelling, simple and cute.  Just a beautiful piece of reverb-y art.
SMITH WESTERNS DYE IT BLONDE (link)
"I wanna tell you you're hard to resist" is always stuck in my head.
THE SHIVERS MORE (link)
Even though their manager is a mega douche and Keith had a temper tantrum and smashed my drum set at our CMJ show, the album is great and I listened to it a lot this year.  You should see them perform "More" live some time.  It can be beautiful and breathtaking...
I'M TURNING INTO PARCELS OF MARBLES (link)
Nails underproduced, basement-recorded, lo-fi.  Does killer catchy and rich, slow, thoughtful amazingly well ("Super," I'm talking about you).  Of all the albums on the list, this one does the best job of sounding different from song to song, but making sense.
WOODS SUN AND SHADE (link)
I think this is the best sounding album of the year - they have a knack for warmth and breath.  You can hear the air in the room in this recording and it is so delicate.  Simple, yet rich, musical texture.

SONGS
EVERY one of these is so so great!

LANA DEL REY VIDEO GAMES

LISSY TRULLIE MADELEINE

LYKKE LI UNREQUITED LOVE

TENNIS MARATHON

POW WOW! HEATHER TOOK A DIVE
STARLIGHT GIRLS GOSSIP

DINOSSAUR FEATHERS PLEASE, PLEASE GEORGE

GIRLS HONEY BUNNY

LA SERA DEVILS HEARTS GROW GOLD

DALE EARNHARDT JR. JR. VOCAL CHORDS

SHIMMERING STARS I'M GONNA TRY

No comments: